Monday, September 5, 2011

Daily Life in Sabi

September 3 - September 4, 2011
In the morning Julio and I went for a walk around the town.  We went to the meat store and the bakery and the fish store to buy food for lunch and then to the bike shop to pick up my bike!  Then we walked up to my school which is about a 5 minute walk from my house (this is great news for me because those extra minutes of sleeping are precious).  Next to the school is the public fields and facilities where there is a soccer field, tennis courts and paddle courts.  Julio and many of the other friends LOVE paddle.  IT is like tennis but the walls are glass so you can play the ball off the walls.  Then we came back to the house for a nice lunch with more friends.  I love it because there are always people around.  On the back porch you can hop over a fence to our neighbors porch so there is always a little party or gathering happening very close.  After lunch a bunch of the women all play cards.  It is a very fun game that is kind of like a mix between gin and rummicube.  One game consists of many rounds.  In the beginning or the game everybody puts in 1 euro and then the winner gets the money at the end.  I won one of the games!!!  I now have 6 euros. (The banks are closed on the weekends so I only have American dollars right now).  One girl, Marta, speaks completely fluent English.  She is in university in Barcelona, 21 years old.  At night I went with her to one of her friends houses.  It is called a caseta, a little house, becuase it is only one room with a fireplace and sink and table.  You have a caseta for the piece of land it is on if you want a bigger garden.  All of her friends were incredibly nice.  They were also playing cards but a more traditional game that right now is very confusing to me but I will learn.  Everything is going so good and all of the people are incredibly nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment