Tuesday, September 13, 2011

First Day of School, Really

September 12, 2011
Wow.  My brain is very sore.  So I met a bunch of friends in the Consti and then we walked up to school together.  When we got there we went right to class.  History first. Turns out that this will probably be my hardest class.  For the fist part of class the teacher talked, very fast I might add, and I understood very little.  The second part we all took a mini test.  We had to math a bunch of events with their century and then read a passage about 9/11 and answer questions.  It was great because I know about 9/11 so I could understand the passage but my responses were awful and I couldn't say what I wanted too.  Also I never got a chance to finish because it took me so long to read the passage because it was Spanish.  In between classes we have 5 minutes which is really nice because you don't have to rush anywhere, and the classes are very close.  Next class was Economy which is my least favorite class.  The way that the professor talks is very hard for me to understand because her thoughts are very jumbled up so as soon as I start to catch onto what she is saying she changes the subject.  This got me very down since I had no clue what was going on, but it turns out that the rest of the class didn't either so I am not alone.  Every two classes (there are 6 in a day) we have a 15 or 20 minute break.  Everyone brings sandwiches to school to hold them over until lunch, the biggest meal of the day, at 2:30 when we get out of school.  There is only a bar (like with coffee and sandwiches) no cafeteria because you eat at home after school.  Today everyone went outside but in the winter I'm assuming that won't happen.  When I returned I went to math.  The teacher was very nice and understood that I couldn't understand anything.  Also numbers are the same in every language so this class was easier than the ones before.  Next was philosophy.  The professor is very cool, definitely looks like he should be teaching philosophy.  Although I didn't understand a lot it turns out for the first lesson we will be doing Plato's Allegory of the Cave which I did last year so I am very excited about that because I will actually know what is going on.  And it will be interesting to get another person's perspective on it.  Another break after that and then to Informatica, which is like computers.  Very energetic professor and I think this will be a break class because computers are the same in every language, or it will be easy to figure out by looking around.  On Mondays it turns out that I get to go home one block early because only the kids taking religion stay for the last block.  My head is very tired but overall it was a very good day.  It's very deceiving not understanding what is going on but at the end of the day I have to step back and realize even though it may not seem like it, I have already learned so much  that I can understand as much as I did.  I'm not going to say I'm excited to wake up at the crack of dawn tomorrow but for school it isn't bad at all, or at least not yet, no homework on the first day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment