Monday, October 3, 2011

Up, Up and Into the Pyrennes

October 1, 2011


Today I hiked 6 hours, and I got up at 7 to do it.  I never thought I would say that in my life.  There is an excursion that happens every year.  This year about 200 people participated.  There are two abandoned towns near a town called Olivan (one of the small towns in my valley).  Nobody has lived in these towns for 50 years because they take 3 hours to get to each way, walking.  We started out the day at 8:30 and one and a half hours later we arrived at the first town, stopping for food of course.  Always food and good food at that.  Then two more hours to the second town.  Every minute of the hike was absolutely gorgeous, looking out over more and more mountains as we got higher.  The trails were skinny and let me say they were not smooth.  Once we got to the second town every had more food and every drinks a type of wine that is stronger than normal wine with peaches.   The overall atmosphere of everyone was so great.  It never felt like I was walking for 6 hours, more of just an a walk looking at beautiful landscapes with welcoming people speaking Spanish.  I am so sore now but it was all worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment